Beginners question

nohics nohics nohics at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 22:40:32 EDT 2009

When defining your class methods, you *must* explicitly list self as the
first argument for each method, including __init__. When you call a method
of an ancestor class from within your class, you *must* include the
selfargument. But when you call your class method from outside, you do
not
specify anything for the self argument; you skip it entirely, and
Pythonautomatically adds the instance reference for you. I am aware
that this is
confusing at first; it's not really inconsistent, but it may appear
inconsistent because it relies on a distinction (between bound and unbound
methods) that you don't know about yet.

So, you have to do:

class ClassName:
    self.global_var = 1