any suggestions to synchronize typed text and speech ?

Marcus Wanner marcusw at cox.net
Sun Jul 19 19:32:02 EDT 2009

On 7/19/2009 4:15 PM, Stef Mientki wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm using Scintilla as a wxPython widget with great pleasure.
> I now have an application where I want to make notes during a conversation,
> but also want to record the speech during that conversation.
> I'm using Scintilla as a wxPython widget for editing and PyAudio for the
> speech recording,
> until so far everything works fine.
>
> Here the problem part:
> I need to synchronize the typed text with the sound during playback.
> So if I click somewhere in the sound recording,
> the line of text, typed that moment should be highlighted.
> And vise versa, if the cursor in the text is moved and some special key
> is pressed,
> the sound starting 10 or 20seconds earlier should be playbacked.
>
> I though of adding bookmarks (because these are fixed in the text), and
> keep a list of bookmarks and sound pointers.
> This idea should work, but there are only 31 bookmarks.
>
> Any other suggestions ?
>
> thanks,
> Stef Mientki
That sounds like a very specialized type of thing, which only the few
people with experience with wxPython, PyAudio, and Scintilla could help
you with...

But you might try having a dictionary with notes and associated times,
or just give each note a four-digit ID number at the beginning of it
when it's entered and use that in the dictionary (to keep keys shorter).
Or you could just do a little hack and increase the number of bookmarks
allowed (seeing as source is available) :p

Marcus