If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jul 19 22:07:34 EDT 2009

In article <20090720025149.326f0cfc at halmanfloyd.lan.local>,
 Marek Kubica <marek at xivilization.net> wrote:

> > > there is one free unique implementation on the 3 major platforms
> > > Linux, Windows and MacOS X
> >
> > Most people would still consider Solaris to be a "major platform".
>
> Depends on who you ask. On the desktop it doesn't matter at all
> (fortunately, since everytime I work on Solaris I'm entering a world of
> pain which is just slowly getting better with OpenSolaris), on the
> server it (and other propietary Unices) is losing ground compared to
> the free Unices.

Clearly, there's not much (if any) Solaris on the desktop.  But it's sure
alive and kicking in the server world.

One of the things I like about Python is not just how portable is it is,
but how easy it is to build and deploy.  We build our product on Windows, N
different Linux distros, Solaris, HPUX, AIX, and OSX.  I've built Python
for all of those platforms.  Then, I checked the install areas into
Perforce.  Deploying is as simple as checking out the right sandbox.

We've gone through the same exercise for Perl.  That was a lot more
painful.