If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Frank Buss fb at frank-buss.de
Mon Jul 20 02:28:58 EDT 2009

Bob Martin wrote:

> I think the OP means "major PC operating systems".  Those with a wider
> knowledge of the computer world would consider IBM's mainframe operating
> systems to be deserving of the description "major".

Maybe you are right, if you mean big machines. I know mainframes a bit and
there are interesting concepts, like hot-swapping of CPU modules and
mainframes are very reliable. But expensive, too. I know at least one
client, who wants to change it to some cheap Linux boxes, like Google
demonstrates it. If you take care (e.g. Xen virtualization for easier
computer changing and RAID harddisks, if a downtime of some hours might be
ok), it doesn't matter if one PC goes out of order.

But even on IBM mainframes you can install Linux or other Unix systems in
parallel to the usual operating systems for this machines, so except for
special cases, like embedded systems, the most installed and used operating
systems might be Unix-like systems and Windows. But looks like Python even
runs on more native operating systems for mainframes.

Frank Buss, fb at frank-buss.de