comments? storing a function in an object

Esmail ebonak at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 20 22:01:45 EDT 2009

Hi Francesco,

Those were great suggestions!

Re 1: I used the __doc__ attribute to eliminate the parameter in the
       constructor as you suggested. Also, much easier to specify the
       character string with the actual function than later to match it
       up like I was.

class Function(object):
     """ class to represent a function """

     def __init__(self, fn, num_vars):
         """ the function, its string representation, and the number of
variables """
         self.fn = fn
         self.fn_str = fn.__doc__
         self.num_vars = num_vars

Re 2: I will need to read up on __call__ to see how to use it here ..

Re 3: I think I still need to have my own exception handler as I am
       using the 'extended call syntax' now (I just learned about this
       yesterday) and I will always just supply one argument, the
       list. Or perhaps my custom exception will be superfluous once I
       figure out __call__ ..?

Thank you for taking the time to help, always good to learn new things.

Esmail