C-API, tp_dictoffset vs tp_members

Ulrich Eckhardt doomster at knuut.de
Tue Jul 21 01:16:10 EDT 2009

Hi!

When would I use PyObject_SetAttrString/tp_dictoffset instead of tp_members?

I have a predefined set of members, some of which are optional. The problem
I had with an embedded dictionary was that I can't see its elements using
"dir()". Now I just converted to using tp_members, and it still seems to
work correctly for the cases I tested. Even better, I can declare the fields
as read-only then and add doc-strings. So, I wonder, what made the original
author[2] use tp_dictoffset instead?

In case you wonder, I'm looking at the Python bindings for GDB[1], file
gdb/python/python-type.c, struct field_object.

Thanks!

Uli

[1] http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/PythonGdb
[2] Yes I could ask them, but I'd like to get an understanding of the pros
and cons.