JavaScript toolkits (was Re: ANN: Porcupine Web Application Server 0.6 is released!)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 08:55:12 EDT 2009

On 20 Jul, 18:00, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:

> Out of curiosity, are there any JavaScript toolkits that generate code
> that degrades gracefully when JavaScript is disabled?

You mean "Web toolkits which use JavaScript", I presume. I have
written (and use myself) a toolkit/framework called XSLForms (part of
the XSLTools distribution) which supports in-page updates (AJAX,
effectively) that degrade to vanilla whole-page requests if JavaScript
is switched off:

http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/XSLTools.html

I've been meaning to have a few example applications running on that
site to illustrate the point. Some people complain that by
constraining the JavaScript functionality to merely enhance vanilla
HTML/HTTP functionality, one is not using the full potential of the
medium, but having used sites whose JavaScript has failed, thus
preventing the use of those sites almost completely, I think that
stacking AJAX-like stuff on top of normal stuff helps the majority of
developers offer an accessible solution.

Paul