Multiple versions of python

ChrisW c.c.wood at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:22:30 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have installed 2 versions of python on my Windows XP computer - I
originally had 3.0.1, but then found that the MySQL module only
supported 2.*, so I've now installed that.  I have found that if I
change the Windows Environment Variable path, then I can change the
version of python called when I type 'python' into a command line.
However, I'd like to be able to choose which version I use.  I know
that if I change C:\Python26\python.exe to
C:\Python26\python2.exe and C:\Python30\python.exe to C:
\Python26\python3.exe, then typing 'python2' or 'python3' will invoke
the correct interpreter.  However, is it safe just to rename the
executable files? Is there a more elegant way to achieve the same
task?

Thanks,
Chris