Pyserial and pyQt

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 19:24:32 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 21:37, Seth wrote:

> I have used pyserial in the past but this is my first experience with
> pyQt.  I am using the Python xy package for windows current but might
> move to linux.  I have a small device that is outputting a basic text
> string.  I want to be able to read this string(from the comm port) and
> update a text box and eventually a graph in pyQt.  I can't find any
> documentation or tutorials on how to do this.  If anyone can point me
> in the right direction or give me some tips I would be grateful.

It seems that someone has already asked a similar question on Stack
Overflow, though perhaps you should start with a simpler solution
and look at more advanced ones later:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/771988/pyqt4-and-pyserial

One starting point is this list of tutorials on the PyQt and PyKDE Wiki:

  http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/Tutorials

Later, when you want to draw graphs, you might find PyQwt useful:

  http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/

You may already be aware that there's also a mailing list for PyQt and
PyKDE:

  http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/

Another way to get answers to questions is to join the #pyqt IRC channel
at freenode.net:

  irc://irc.freenode.net/

David