doted filenames in import statements

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 22 12:44:08 EDT 2009

Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
> Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> success.
>>>

>> Rightly so.
>>
>> I think the best would be to add the directory to sys.path
>> sys.path.add('/home/dsp/4.6.0.0')
>> and then
>> __import__('test', ... )
>
> I see. My problem is that a have to import 2 different files having de
> same name. In the same name space I have 2 objects from 2 different
> software branches, let's say 4.6.0 and 4.6.1.
> The first object shall import 4.6.0/orb.py and the second one 4.6.1/orb.py.
>
> If I add 4.6.1 to sys.path, the import statement will look like:
> self._orb = __import__('orb')
> The problem is, python wil assume orb is already imported and will
> assign the module from the 4.6.0 branch to my 4.6.1 object.
>
> Do I have to mess up with sys.modules keys to make python import the
> correct file ? Is there a standard/proper way to do that ?

If you make the directory names into proper identifiers like v460 and
v461 and add __init__.py to each to make them packages and have both on
search path, then

import v460.orb #or import v460.orb as orb460
import v461.orb #or import v460.orb as orb461

will get you both. One way or another, they have to get different names
within Python.

Terry Jan Reedy