Pyserial and pyQt

Seth king.seth at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:32:51 EDT 2009

On Jul 21, 7:24 pm, David Boddie <da... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 July 2009 21:37, Seth wrote:
>
> > I have used pyserial in the past but this is my first experience with
> > pyQt.  I am using the Python xy package for windows current but might
> > move to linux.  I have a small device that is outputting a basic text
> > string.  I want to be able to read this string(from the comm port) and
> > update a text box and eventually a graph in pyQt.  I can't find any
> > documentation or tutorials on how to do this.  If anyone can point me
> > in the right direction or give me some tips I would be grateful.
>
> It seems that someone has already asked a similar question on Stack
> Overflow, though perhaps you should start with a simpler solution
> and look at more advanced ones later:
>
>  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/771988/pyqt4-and-pyserial
>
> One starting point is this list of tutorials on the PyQt and PyKDE Wiki:
>
>  http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/Tutorials
>
> Later, when you want to draw graphs, you might find PyQwt useful:
>
>  http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/
>
> You may already be aware that there's also a mailing list for PyQt and
> PyKDE:
>
>  http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/
>
> Another way to get answers to questions is to join the #pyqt IRC channel
> at freenode.net:
>
>   irc://irc.freenode.net/
>
> David

Thanks for the response.  I have gone through a lot of the tutorials.
All of them(that I saw) seem to just deal will event-based
applications ie calculator, image viewer, etc.  How do I run pyserial
in the background and pass the information to PyQT and refresh the
screen?  Is there a way to have pyserial run in another thread and
pass the information to the UI?

Thanks,
Seth