If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:39:35 EDT 2009

On Jul 23, 2:37 am, Nobody <nob... at nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:17:52 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:
> > So do all these OSes have some kind of __mega_unifying_poll system
> > call that works for anything that might possibly block, that you can
> > exploit from a user process?
>
> Threads ;)

Yeah, well that was kind of my point, you'd need native threads to do
some of this.

Jean-Paul Calderone seemed to be suggesting that it was possible to
wait for events on sockets, pipes, and IPC semaphores at the same.  I
pointed out that it isn't possible with well-known I/O polling calls
(like select), so there must be some other way, and I was wondering
what it was.

He's a proponent of Twisted, which is a major async framework, and I'd
have to figure that once or twice they've encounted issues like "how
to poll both a semaphore and a socket at the same time", so maybe
they've found a good solution to it.

Carl Banks