len() should always return something

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jul 26 06:11:02 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I'm curious what those applications are, because regular multiplication
> behaves differently depending on whether you have a 1x1 matrix or a
> scalar:
>
> [[2]]*[[1, 2, 3], [2, 3, 4]] is not defined
>
> 2*[[1, 2, 3], [2, 3, 4]] = [[2, 4, 6], [2, 6, 8]]
>
> I'm curious as to what these applications are, and what they're actually
> doing. Kronecker multiplication perhaps? Do you have some examples of
> those applications?

The most obvious example would be the matrix algebra equivalent of the
calculation of the dot product, the equivalent of a dot product in
normal vector algebra.  If you have two 3-vectors (say), u = (u_1, u_2,
u_3) and v = (v_1, v_2, v_3), then the dot product is the sum of the
pairwise products of these terms, u dot v = sum_i u_i v_i = u_1 v_1 +
u_2 v_2 + u_3 v_3.

Nothing revolutionary there.  The matrix way of writing this wouldn't
obviously work, since multiplying two nx1 or (1xn) matrixes by each
other is invalid.  But you _can_ multiply a nx1 matrix by an 1xn matrix,
and you get the equivalent of the dot product:

	u v^T = ( u dot v ),

where the right hand side of the equation is formally a 1x1 matrix
(intended to be indicated by the parentheses), but you can see how it is
useful to think of it as just a scalar, because it's really just a
matrix version of the same thing as a dot product.

This stretches out to other kinds of applications, where, say, in tensor
calculus, you can think of a contravariant vector as being transformed
into a covariant vector by the application of the matrix tensor, which
is written as lowering an index.  The components of the contravariant
vector can be thought of as a column vector, while the components of a
covariant vector can be represented with a row vector.  The application
  of the metric tensor to a contravariant vector turns it into a row
vector, and then contracting over the two vectors gives you the inner
product as above.  The applications and contractions can all be
visualized as matrix multiplications.  (Contrary to a popularization,
tensors _aren't_ generalizations of matrices, but their components can be.)

It's a bunch of other examples like that where you end up with a 1x1
matrix that really represents a scalar, and since that was intended
there really isn't a lot of efficacy to treat it as a separate entity.
Especially if you're dealing with a special-purpose language where
everything is really a form of an generalized array representation of
something _anyway_.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   Scars are like memories. We do not have them removed.
    -- Chmeee