Mutable Strings - Any libraries that offer this?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 26 07:53:20 EDT 2009

Neil Hodgson wrote:
> casebash:
>
>> I have searched this list and found out that Python doesn't have a
>> mutable string class (it had an inefficient one, but this was removed
>> in 3.0). Are there any libraries outside the core that offer this?
>
>    I wrote a gap buffer implementation for Python 2.5 allowing
> character, unicode character and integer elements.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/gapbuffer/
>
>    Its not seen much use or any maintenance so is unlikely to work with
> Python 3.x.
>
>    Neil

I tried this as a learning exercise and found slicing doesn't work
correctly.

import gapbuffer
print gapbuffer.GapBuffer(range(10))[:]
GapBuffer('i')]

If my sleuthing is correct the problem is with these lines

ilow *= self->itemSize;
ihigh *= self->itemSize;

in GapBuffer_slice being computed before ilow and ihigh are compared to
anything.

Python 2.6.2 32 bit Windows.

--
Kindest regards.