Looking for a dream language: sounds like Python to me.

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:22:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Creating binaries is not the same as creating /fast, efficient/ binaries.
>>  Py2Exe bundles it all together, but does not make it any faster.
>>

> How inefficient is py2exe.

It is neither efficient or inefficient: it is just a distribution
tool, to deploy python software in a form familiar to most windows
users. It does not make it any faster than running the software under
a python prompt.

As much as I like python for scientific programming, I would say
python is pretty far from the stated requirements in the posted blog
post. It is difficult to deploy software written with python (much
better than the alternatives, though), and it is slow if you can't
leverage numpy/scipy (where vectorization does not apply).

It remains to be seen whether it will be true in practice, but
something like F#, with its integration in VS 2010, seems much closer
IMHO. It is compiled, high level language, and backed by the biggest
software vendor in the world.

David