If Scheme is so good why MIT drops it?

Hendrik van Rooyen hendrik at microcorp.co.za
Tue Jul 28 04:35:48 EDT 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 16:49:25 Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.3765.1248685391.8015.python-list at python.org>,
>
> Hendrik van Rooyen  <hendrik at microcorp.co.za> wrote:
> >On Sunday 26 July 2009 21:26:46 David Robinow wrote:
> >>  I'm a mediocre programmer. Does this mean I should switch to PHP?
> >
> >I have searched, but I can find nothing about this mediocre language.
> >
> >Could you tell us more?
> >
> :-P
>
> (For anyone who is confused by Hendrik's humor, he is saying that David
> was referring to a programming language named "mediocre".  English
> grammar is confusing!)

This is true - I intended, when I started the post, to make a crack about
how he knew that he was mediocre - If there were some exam or test
that you have to pass or fail to be able to make the claim to mediocrity.
I was imagining a sort of devil's rating scale for programmers, that
could cause one to say things like:  "I am studying hard so that I can
get my mediocre certificate, and one day I hope to reach hacker rank".

And then the similarity to "I am a COBOL programmer" struck me,
and I abandoned the ratings.

- Hendrik