bad certificate error

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Tue Jul 28 08:29:56 EDT 2009

jakecjacobson <jakecjacobson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  If I go to this server in my browser, I get a "This server tried to
> > >  identify itself with invalid information".  Is there a way to
> > >  ignore this issue with Python?  Can I setup a trust store and add
> > >  this server to the trust store?
> >
> > Invalid how?  Self signed certificate? Domain mismatch? Expired
> > certificate?
>
>  For everyone that wants to discuss why we shouldn't do this, great but
>  I can't change the fact that I need to do this.  I can't use http or
>  even get a correct cert at this time.  This is a quick a dirty project
>  to demonstrate capability.  I need something more than slide show
>  briefs.

I wasn't making a value judgement - I was trying to help!  If you can
get a bit more information out of the browser as to why the
certificate is invalid it may help your python code.

Real certificates cost real money.  Usually a correctly set up
self-signed certificate is fine for dev stuff.  I'm certainly too
cheap to by real certificates for dev or internal stuff!