M2Crypto hangs on this URL

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Jul 28 12:02:29 EDT 2009

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

> It looks to me like the SSL handshake is not done properly from the
> server side.
>
> Compare the output of:
> openssl s_client -host sagar310.pontins.com -port 443 -debug -showcerts
> -msg
>
> With (for example):
> openssl s_client -host www.google.com -port 443 -debug -showcerts -msg

   OpenSSL is clearly not happy with that site.  But it doesn't hang.

openssl s_client -host sagar310.pontins.com -port 443 -debug -showcerts  -msg

eventually prints

"Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)"
That's weird, because there's a Verisign certificate in the chain.
That site is somehow mishandling its certs.

My problem, though, is that M2Crypto 0.17 is hanging for hours to days
on those connections.

					John Nagle