Does python have the capability for driver development ?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Jul 29 19:33:01 EDT 2009

 MalC0de wrote:
> hello there, I've a question :
> I want to know does python have any capability for using Ring0 and
> kernel functions for driver and device development stuff .
> if there's such a feature it is very good, and if there something for
> this kind that you know please refer me to some reference and show me
> some snippet .

What operating system are you talking about?

Most device drivers run at ring 3 (or lower) and not zero. This way if
there
is a driver crash the whole operating system doesn't freeze.

Python is generally considered a high-level language. If you want
to play around with drivers.. usb serial.. etc do it at a python
level through the existing device drivers.

imho the performance of interpreted python isn't compatible with
writing block-mode device drivers (hard-disks) and so forth.

What hardware do you have that you need to write a device driver
for ? Isn't there a device driver available already? or do you
mean just a device controller?

David