fast video encoding

Fri Jul 31 09:51:17 EDT 2009

gregorth wrote:
> for a scientific application I need to save a video stream to disc for
> further post processing. My cam can deliver 8bit grayscale images with
> resolution 640x480 with a framerate up to 100Hz, this is a data rate
> of 30MB/s. Writing the data uncompressed to disc hits the data
> transfer limits of my current system and creates huge files. Therefore
> I would like to use video compression, preferably fast and high
> quality to lossless encoding. Final file size is not that important.
Well, it sounds like it better be enough to affect bandwidth.

> I am a novice with video encoding. I found that few codecs support
> gray scale images. Any hints to take advantage of the fact that I only
> have gray scale images?

You might try to see if there is a primitive .MNG encoder around.
That could give you lossless with perhaps enough compression to make
you happy, and I'm sure it will handle the grayscale.

.MNG is pictures only, but that doesn't hurt you in the least.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org