Python docs disappointing

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 16:29:36 EDT 2009

On Jul 31, 3:10 pm, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
> I'm pretty new to Python, and I like a lot overall, but I find the
> documentation for Python rather poor, overall.
[snip]

If you mean the built-in docs i *highly agree* with you. if you mean
docs/tutorials available across the WWW i *highly disagree* with you,
and if you mean the command line "help" i also *highly disagree*, of
which python has the-best-in the-world!

I am using 2.6.2 and the help docs are a joke. trying to find even the
simplest thing (built-in functions, etc...) is like pulling teeth. I
do not look at them anymore, or do i plan to in the future. Luckily i
know python pretty well, but i can't image the horrors a new Python
Programmer must face now...

Kj, you could not be more right. Doc maintainers need to get some
feedback from Python noobies when writing this stuff. Does anybody
remember CP4E? I know Guido put a lot of effort into this project and
very much believed in this philosophy(circa 1999~2005), although it
never really went very far, i still believe in Guido's heart the CP4E
exists -- if only barley clinging to life(...maybe?)

any thoughts on this Pythonistas?