Python docs disappointing

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 16:55:35 EDT 2009

r wrote:
> On Jul 31, 3:10 pm, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
>> I'm pretty new to Python, and I like a lot overall, but I find the
>> documentation for Python rather poor, overall.
> [snip]
>
> If you mean the built-in docs i *highly agree* with you. if you mean
> docs/tutorials available across the WWW i *highly disagree* with you,
> and if you mean the command line "help" i also *highly disagree*, of
> which python has the-best-in the-world!
>
> I am using 2.6.2 and the help docs are a joke. trying to find even the
> simplest thing (built-in functions, etc...) is like pulling teeth. I
> do not look at them anymore, or do i plan to in the future. Luckily i
> know python pretty well, but i can't image the horrors a new Python
> Programmer must face now...
>
> Kj, you could not be more right. Doc maintainers need to get some
> feedback from Python noobies when writing this stuff. Does anybody
> remember CP4E? I know Guido put a lot of effort into this project and
> very much believed in this philosophy(circa 1999~2005), although it
> never really went very far, i still believe in Guido's heart the CP4E
> exists -- if only barley clinging to life(...maybe?)
>
> any thoughts on this Pythonistas?

I entirely agree with these comments.  Looking at home on the compiled
help file on windows for python 2.6.2 I can't see anything except for
some icons at the top, the Contents, Index, Search and Favorites tabs on
the left and the following on the right.

What's new in Python 2.6? or all "What's new" documents since 2.0
Tutorial start here
Using Python how to use Python on different platforms
Language Reference describes syntax and language elements
Library Reference keep this under your pillow
Python HOWTOs in-depth documents on specific topics
Extending and Embedding tutorial for C/C++ programmers
Python/C API reference for C/C++ programmers
Installing Python Modules information for installers & sys-admins
Distributing Python Modules sharing modules with others
Documenting Python guide for documentation authors
Indices and tables:
Global Module Index quick access to all modules
General Index all functions, classes, terms
Glossary the most important terms explained
Search page search this documentation
Complete Table of Contents lists all sections and subsections
Meta information:
Reporting bugs
About the documentation  History and License of Python
Copyright

Apart from that what have the Pythonistas ever done for us? Nothing!:)

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.