Python and webcam capture delay?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:05:32 EDT 2009

jack catcher (nick) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of using Python for capturing and showing live webcam
> stream simultaneously between two computers via local area network.
> Operating system is Windows. I'm going to begin with VideoCapture
> extension, no ideas about other implementation yet. Do you have any
> suggestions on how short delay I should hope to achieve in showing the
> video? This would be part of a psychological experiment, so I would
> need to deliver the video stream with a reasonable delay (say, below
> 100ms).
I would first check if video capture extension works anyway.
I couldn't get it working, ...
... it seems to start ok
... but moving the captured window,
... or sometimes even just moving the mouse hangs the program :-(

So I'm still looking for a good / open source workiing video capture in
Python.
I can make a good working capture in delphi,
make a DLL or ActiveX from that and use it in Python,
but I'm not allowed to ditribute these.

cheers,
Stef