property using a classmethod

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Jul 9 07:59:44 EDT 2009

Emanuele D'Arrigo a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
> today I did something like this:
>
> class MyClass(object):
>
>     @classmethod
>     def myClassMethod(self):

<ot> Usually, the first argument of classmethods is named 'cls' </ot>

>          print "ham"
>
>      myProperty = property(myClassMethod, None, None)
>
> As many of you know this doesn't work and returns a TypeError: the
> object passed to the property is not a callable function but a
> classmethod object, which isn't callable at all.  So, how do I do this?
> Ultimately all I want is a non-callable class-level attribute
> MyClass.myProperty

properties *are* class attributes.

> that gives the result of MyClass.myClassMethod().
>
> Can it be done?

You could write your own custom descriptor. Or just use an additional
level of indirection, ie:

    myProperty = property(lambda self: self.myClassMethod())

but since you already have myClassMethod available, I don't see the
point. What problem are you trying to solve exactly ?