Running a script to build docs from setup.py

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 9 21:06:34 EDT 2009

Tony Houghton <h at realh.co.uk> writes:

> I've looked through the manual but I can't find any hooks in distutils
> for generating files at install time other than extension modules and
> .pyc files. Should I just run the script from somewhere in my setup.py
> before calling distutils' setup function?

Indirectly related: Ian Bicking's article on using Python's ‘setup.py’
as a ‘Makefile’ replacement:

    <URL:http://blog.ianbicking.org/pythons-makefile.html>

If one is writing a ‘setup.py’ anyway, I think it makes sense to use
that as the build program for the whole project if possible. Good
hunting!

--
 \     “I have an answering machine in my car. It says, ‘I'm home now. |
  `\  But leave a message and I'll call when I'm out.’” —Steven Wright |