On out-of-date Python Applications

David Robinow drobinow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 13:46:26 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Virgil Stokes<vs at it.uu.se> wrote:
> David Robinow wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:24 AM, John Machin<sjmachin at lexicon.net> wrote:
>

> The next step would be to try to compile ODE 0.7 or 0.8 with VS9 --
> however this would require "project files" for ODE for VS9, and there
> aren't any on the ODE website; it has only those for VS3 and VS5.
>

>  The ODE site is a mess.
> Go to http://www.ode.org/svn.html  and click on:   Instructions for
> accessing the repository
>  Scroll down to the section "Building with Premake"
>  (Note that there is no directory "ode/build" -- you want the "build"
> directory, which contains premake4.exe)
> I used "premake4 --with-demos --with-tests vs2008"
> I have successfully compiled ode-0.11.1 using these instructions. I
> have not yet run the tests or demos or tried to compile PyODE.
>

> Thanks for this information David.
> Now that you have successfully compiled ode-0.11.1, how can one finish this
> process --- compile PyODE?
>
> --V

Edit setup.py       Windows specific settings:
 ODE_BASE to location of your ode distribution
 create releaselib directory under lib and copy the .lib file that you built in
Visual Studio.  This will be:
   ReleaseSingleLib\ode_single.lib  or
   ReleaseDoubleLib\ode_double.lib  or one of the Debug versions
 Change the name to ode.lib.
 i.e. in CMD-speak:  %ODE_BASE%\lib\releaselib\ode.lib

I was then able to build PyODE-1.2.0

However, all the examples died with:
  ODE Message 2: mass must be > 0 <..\..\ode\src\mass.cpp:49)

I don't have time right now to debug this. Maybe somebody else can take it a
bit further.