Metaclass mystery

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at
Mon Jun 1 09:42:31 CEST 2009

On May 31, 2:32 am, LittleGrasshopper <seattleha... at> wrote:

> Seriously, metaclasses are making my brain hurt. How do people like
> Michele Simionato and David Mertz figure these things out? Does it all
> come to looking at the C source code for the CPython interpreter?

Actually I never looked at the C source code. I performed lots of
and figured things out the hard way, with trial and errors.
are not that hard, descriptors and super were much harder to grasp at
time, since there was next to zero documentation and a set of subtle
For descriptors now there is Raymond Hettinger essay and for super
there are my blog posts
on Artima:
(there are also two posts of mine about metaclasses in Python 3.0 that
you may want to