Safe to import __builtin__ ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at
Thu Jun 4 01:11:51 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-03 17:54, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:57:29 +0000, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
>> mrstevegross<mrstevegross<at>>  writes:
>>> Is it generally safe to explicitly import __builtin__ in python? That
>>> is, my code reads like this:
>>> It seems like it should be a safe import, but I just want to make sure.
>> Yes, that's fine. I'm not sure why you don't just use type(), though.
> I'm not sure why you think type() is a substitute for __builtin__. Here's
> a typical use-case for __builtin__:
> import __builtin__
> def map(*args):  # shadow a built-in
>      # pre-processing goes here
>      result =*args)
>      # post-processing goes here
>      return result
> How does type() help you?

It doesn't in that sense. The example that Benjamin elided used
__builtin__.type() for no discernible reason (unlike your example which creates
a shadow function that overrides the builtin version). Benjamin was asking what
the motivation was, since it was not evident.

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco