import sqlite3

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Thu Jun 4 09:21:56 EDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 7:45 AM, willgun wrote:

> By the way ,what does 'best regards' means at the end of a mail?

"regards" is just respectful (and slightly formal) goodbye. Have a
look at the definition:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=regards

It's used much more in written communication than in spoken.

At the end of a letter (or email), you might also see simply
"regards", or "warm regards" (which is especially friendly) or "kind
regards".

At the end of a meeting of two friends A and B, A might say to B,
"Give my regards to X" where X is a person that both A and B know that
B will soon see. A is asking B to "carry" good wishes to X. Instead, A
could have said to B, "When you see X, please tell her I'm thinking of
her fondly".

One can also say, "I hold him in high regard", meaning, "I respect and
admire him".

I'm in the USA; other English speakers might see this differently.

bye
Philip