py3k printing generators -- not!

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 08:28:30 EDT 2009

The one thing that's killing me in Python 3000 is that every time I
try to print something, it seems like I get <generator object
<genexpr> at 0x01BAF508>.  Googling only found one reference, a
posting elsewhere by one Carl Johnson (aka carlj7,
http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=211200#275387),
which apparently was never answered.  Is anyone else finding this
bothersome, or is it entirely due to my FP background?

Always saying "print(','.join(x))" gets tiresome in a hurry.  I've
thought about defining my own function "prnt" that wraps print and
fixes generators, but that requires me to get their type, which
despite the claims of "help(type(x for x in range(0)))" cannot be
found in builtins.  How are other solving this?