Iterating Over Dictionary From Arbitrary Location

Aahz aahz at
Sun Jun 7 18:42:11 CEST 2009

In article <mailman.1241.1244301490.8015.python-list at>,
akindo  <akindo01 at> wrote:
>So, it seems I want the best of both worlds: specific indexing using
>my own IDs/keys (not just by list element location), sorting and the
>ability to start iterating from a specific location. I am trying to
>prevent having to scan through a list from the beginning to find the
>desired ID, and then return all elements after that. Is there another
>data structure or design pattern which will do what I want? Thanks a
>lot for any help! :)

One option is to maintain both a dict and a list; it doesn't cost much
memory because the individual elements don't get copied.  See various
"ordered dictionary" implementations for ideas on coding this.
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra