multi-core software

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Jun 7 20:22:00 EDT 2009

Lew wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> I agree entirely but my statements were about parallelism and not
>> concurrency. Parallel and concurrent programming have wildly different
>> characteristics and solutions. I don't believe shared mutable state is
>> overly problematic in the context of parallelism. Indeed, I think it is
>> usually the best solution in that context.
>
> Interesting distinction.  Would it be fair to compare concurrent
> programming to the bricks used to build the parallel program's edifice?

Concurrent programming certainly underpins the foundations of almost all
parallel programs. Not least at the level of the OS scheduling the threads
than run the parallel programs. However, that knowledge is probably more
confusing than helpful here.

In essence, concurrent programming is concerned with reducing latency (e.g.
evading blocking) by interleaving computations whereas parallel programming
is concerned with maximizing throughput by performing computations at the
same time.

Historically, concurrency has been of general interest on single core
machines in the context of operating systems and IO and has become more
important recently due to the ubiquity of web programming. Parallelism was
once only important to computational scientists programming shared-memory
supercomputers and enterprise developers programming distributed-memory
clusters but the advent of multicore machines on the desktop and in the
games console has pushed parallelism into the lime light for ordinary
developers when performance is important.

Solutions for concurrent and parallel programming are also wildly different.
Concurrent programming typically schedules work items that are expected to
block on a shared queue for a pool of dozens or even hundreds of threads.
Parallel programming typically schedules work items that are expected to
not block on wait-free work-stealing queues for a pool of "n" threads
where "n" is the number of cores. Solutions for concurrent programming
(such as the .NET thread pool and asynchronous workflows in F#) can be used
as a poor man's solution for parallel programming but the overheads are
huge because they were not designed for this purpose so performance is much
worse than necessary. Solutions for parallel programming (e.g. Cilk, the
Task Parallel Library) are virtually useless for concurrent programming
because you quickly end up with all "n" threads blocked and the whole
program stalls.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?u