spammers on pypi

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:14:32 EDT 2009

On 2009-06-08 07:44, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> On Jun 5, 1:39 pm, joep<josef.p... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Is there a way to ban spammers from pypi?
>
> Can you provide some examples?  It's possible that we can apply
> SpamBayes
> to PyPI submissions in much the same way that we apply it in other non-
> mail
> areas.

I suspect he might talking about all of the "1.0.1" releases of projects on June
5th from "v y p e r l o g i x . c o m" or "p y p i . i n f o" (obfuscated to
avoid helping them out). Most of them appear to be removed, now. These
chuckleheads even have a blog post complaining about it. I can collect a list
from my Cheeseshop RSS history if you like.

I don't think a SpamBayes approach will work for this particular guy. It's not
like completely fake metadata was uploaded with links to spam sites. There
actually is Python code for some of them. Maybe even some that is marginally
useful. But only marginally (Linked Lists for Python? Really?). All of the code
appears to use their proprietary, unreleased package.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco