zipfile doesn't compress very good, are there other solutions ?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Thu Jun 11 04:44:28 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Stef Mientki<stef.mientki at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I want to make a distro for Ubuntu,
> and run under Windows.
>
> I packed all sources with zipfile,
> but the compression doesn't seem to be very good.
>
> If run the created file through 7zip, it becomes anout half the size.

Are you sure it's compressing it as a .zip? I know it has its own
incompatible .7z format which tends compress things a bit better.

> Is there a way to accomplish the same task with zipfile ( the documentation
> isn't overwhelming).

You can use the `tarfile` module's bz2 compression option; bzip2 tends
to compress slightly better than zip.
tarfile docs -- http://docs.python.org/library/tarfile.html

Cheers,
Chris