install older Python version parallel

edexter Eric_Dexter at msn.com
Fri Jun 12 03:27:47 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 8:50 am, "S. Dornseifer" <s.dornsei... at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> The situation:
> I wrote a GUI, based on Python, TkInter and Pmw.
> It runs perfectly fine with Python 2.4 (providing, TkInter and Pmw are
> installed). But it crashes with Python 2.6. I tried this on MacOSX11.4
> and various Linux Distributions.
> Crashes occurs when I activate a Pmw.Diaog (I guess this is due to a bug
> in the installed blt package), also when I use setitems on
> Pmw.OptionMenu (I guess this is due to another package, associated with
> tcl/tk).
>
> The target:
> I have to get my GUI work under openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64).
>
> My plan:
> On my openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64), Python 2.6 is installed by default.
> I would like to know, how to install Python 2.4 along with TkInter and
> Pmw (and packages that are required by them), parallel to the existing
> Python 2.6. So that I do not break other software that depends on Python
> 2.6.
>
> If you can think of another plan, I would be also glad to discuss it.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

0n windows I had multiple versions installed ex
python24
python25

i would write a batch file
C:\python24\python.exe test.py
pause

the pause is there just so that I can see an error message if there is
one.

I have no idea what would work for the mac or linux though... I
suspect something simular might work after all
why rewrite all your software because someone else wants you to have a
particular version of python not with the amount of disk space that is
available now-adays..