trying to understand dictionaries

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Fri Jun 12 08:25:37 EDT 2009

Basically, dictionaries are a bunch of couples of key and  value where
key is an immutable object. In fact you'll find a more accurate
definition in any python book or online tutorial.
The thing is that keys are usually used as an easy and quick way the
search and index items.
You can see dict as a list that can use strings instead of integers to
index its values.

phonebook = {
    'ricky' : ('ricky', 'martin', 'male'),
    'britney' : ('britney', 'spears', 'female'),
    'myBestBuddy' : ('barack', 'obama', 'male'),
    42 : ('bob', 'bib', 'male'), # you can use 42 as index, like strings
integers are not mutable
    True: ('', '', ''), # meaningless example just to show that any
immutable object will fit as index
}

fname, ename, gender = phonebook['myBestBuddy']
fname, ename, gender = phonebook[42]

Keys are unique among the dictionary.

Jean-Michel