frustrating failure of 'break' statement ( novice )

pdlemper at earthlink.net pdlemper at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 13 17:48:43 EDT 2009

In my programs the 'break' fails to work.  I've studied the docs for
3.0 and Programming in Python, neither of which are illuminating.
Simplest example :

while True :
    num = int(input())
    print(num)
    if num == 0 :
        break

print('done')

SyntaxError : invalid syntax    ( pointing to end of break )
This happens whether the 'break' is put on same line as the
conditional, flush with while, flush with if, or appropriately
indented 4 spaces.
                             " I saw the number 4 in gold " -Guido
                                  with apologies to Wm Carlos Williams