Good books in computer science?

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Sun Jun 14 18:52:15 EDT 2009

Rhodri James wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 14:19:13 +0100, Graham Ashton
> <graham.ashton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-06-14 14:04:02 +0100, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve at REMOVETHIS.cybersource.com.au> said:

>>>  I think there are about 100 million VB code-monkeys who prove that
>>> theory
>>> wrong.
>>
>> Really? So you don't think that the best way to get good at something
>> is to practice?
>
> Self-evidently.  If what you practice is bad practice, it doesn't matter
> how much you practice it you'll still be no good at good practice in
> practice.  Practically speaking, that is :-)

True. And there's no point in practising if you don't understand what
you're doing or why you're doing it that way. There are plenty of good
tutorials for Python, for example, but if you can't follow any of them
(assuming that it's not just a language problem), or can't be bothered
to read any of them, then you probably shouldn't be a programmer.