Good books in computer science?

Bob Martin bob.martin at excite.com
Mon Jun 15 02:26:05 EDT 2009

in 117455 20090615 044816 Steven D'Aprano <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:39:50 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>>> Shame on you for deliberately cutting out my more serious and nuanced
>>> answer while leaving a silly quip.
>>
>> Can't have been very "serious and nuanced" if it could be summed up by
>> such a "silly quip" though, could it?
>
>But it can't be summed up by the silly quip, which is why I'm complaining
>that the silly quip on its own fails to include the more serious and
>nuanced elements of my post.

Lots of references to "good programmer" but no attempt to define the term.

Who is the better programmer - one who writes lousy code but produces good programs
or one who obeys all the rules of coding but whose programs break all the time?
(Yes, I know there are two other categories!)
In almost 50 years programming I have met all types but I tended to judge them
by the end results, not on their style.