Getting a processes' name?

Daniel Merboth (RIT Student) dcm6293 at rit.edu
Tue Jun 16 10:42:08 EDT 2009

Hello,

My college uses a program called AccessGrid for video conferencing, and it runs through pythonw.exe. It comes with a python script to kill all processes and exit the program. The problem is, the script kills everything related to pythonw.exe, including my open scripts. I'm looking for a way to get the name of the window or the processname, or something, to differentiate between the running versions of pythonw.exe.

This is critical to a script I'm writing that grabs a bunch of the computer's information, populates an HTML table with it, then uploads it to an internal webpage. The goal is to make my (and my co-worker's) job easier on AccessGrid node maintenance.  We use VNC to remotely access and having a table that automatically updates when a DNS or IP changes would be an incredible asset to us. The script also includes some basic information about AccessGrid, so if a staffmember emails us a node isn't working, we can quickly diagnose and repair the problem.

The scripts both overlap in getting the name of a running process.

I'm also kind of teaching myself python to write this. I have coding experience in java though.

Thanks!