Create 3D Surface / Contour (with vpython?)

Gökhan SEVER gokhansever at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:43:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Philip Gröger <
philip.groeger at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> How can I create a 3D surface (or something like the picture on the FAQ
> page http://www.vpython.org/contents/FAQ.html ) with python [or vpython].
> Didnt find anything in the Documentation under "graph"
> Basically like a contourf diagram in 3D (
> http://www.techsoft.de/german/documents/images/3D_contour2.jpg). I think
> you know what I mean.
>
> Reason: I want to simulate waves in a square basin. Hope I dont need to use
> hundrets of little spheres (in case of vpython) for the surface ;)
>
> Thanks alot
>
> - Philip
> --

I suggest two alternatives, second one being the fancier:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/mplot3d/surface3d_demo.html

http://code.enthought.com/projects/mayavi/docs/development/html/mayavi/auto/mlab_helper_functions.html#enthought.mayavi.mlab.surf