Regarding Python is scripting language or not

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 01:17:04 EDT 2009

On Jun 18, 5:03 am, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:

> That depends on what you mean by 'put into classes' (and 'everything').
>
> If you mean 'be an instance of a class', which I think is the most
> natural reading, then Python *is* object-oriented and, if I understand
> what I have read correctly (so that ints are just (unboxed) ints and not
> members of an int class), Java *is not*!

+1

This needs to be said to those who imagine, because you have to code
the class explicitly in Java whereas Python objects can be manipulated
in ignorance of the idea of class, that Java is somehow OO in the way
Python is not.

OTOH the whole notion of defining OO by the use of classes
automatically excludes from consideration prototype-based OO languages
(eg. Self) which arguably offer a purer approach to OO than class
centric languages.