TypeError: int argument required

Thu Jun 18 03:29:53 EDT 2009

In message <mailman.1725.1245281180.8015.python-list at python.org>, Rhodri
James wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:07:15 +0100, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
> [snip example code]
>
>> You haven't managed to get rid of the backslashes.
>
> [snip other example code]
>
>> Now you've lost track of the original point of the discussion, which is
>> about using alternate quotes to avoid backslashes.
>
> Ah, selective amnesia, how useful you are.  The original point of the
> discussion was in fact about using alternative quotes to avoid alternate
> backslashes (or at least excessive ones).

No mention of avoiding "alternate backslashes (or at least excessive ones)".
Here's what I said, in message <h144tf$gip$1 at lust.ihug.co.nz>:

> In message <mailman.1565.1245019944.8015.python-list at python.org>, Rhodri
> James wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:43:30 +0100, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>>> Backslashes are more scalable.
>>
>> That doesn't excuse sprinkling several million backslashes through
>> literal constants when there's a more readable alternative.
>
> Perl allows just about any printable character as a quote. I tried
> alternative quotes for many years, and decided making that choice was a
> waste of brain cells.
>
> So no, using alternative quotes does not make things more readable.

Now compare that with Lie Ryan's examples which, instead of using
backslashes, instead used alternative quotes plus backslashes in one
example, and in the other example, alternative quotes, alternatives to
literal quotes, and backslashes. As opposed to my original routine, which
managed three levels of quoting using just backslashes. Do you begin to
understand what I mean by "scalable"?