Tutorial on working with Excel files in Python (without COM and cross platform!) at EuroPython 2009

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu Jun 18 22:08:57 EDT 2009

Mike Driscoll <kyosohma <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 18, 10:38 am, Chris Withers <ch... at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> > working with Excel files in Python using the pure-python libraries xlrd,
> > xlwt and xlutils.

> As I recall, these utilities don't allow the programmer to access
> Excel's formulas. Is that still an issue?

xlwt supports creating XLS files with a large chunk of the Excel formula
functionality. Support in xlrd for decompiling formulas exists only in a crude
form sufficient to support debugging of xlwt formula enhancements. Whether this
is an issue or not and for whom is difficult to detect -- certainly there have
been no demands for refund of purchase price :-). Some recent enhancements have
been initiated as patches supplied by programmers personally. Patches
(preferably pre-discussed) are welcome, as would be any advice on how to get the
big end of town to send patent lawyers[1], gun coders and money.

[1] No kidding: http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=QMwnAAAAEBAJ