Calling subprocess with arguments

Tyler Laing trinioler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:40:22 EDT 2009

I've been trying any variation I can think of to do this properly, but
here's my problem:

I want to execute this command string: vlc -I rc

This allows vlc to be controlled via  a remote interface instead of the
normal gui interface.

Now, say, I try this from subprocess:

>>>p=subprocess.Popen('vlc -I rc test.avi'.split(' '), shell=False,
stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

But I don't get the remote interface. I get the normal gui interface. So how
do I do it? I've tried passing ['vlc', '-I', 'rc'], I've tried ['-I', 'rc']
with executable set to 'vlc'. I've had shell=True, I've had shell=False.
I've tried all these combinations.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Visit my blog at http://oddco.ca/zeroth/zblog