multiprocessing and process run time

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 10:52:01 EDT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:40:11 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas Robitaille <thomas.robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm making use of the multiprocessing module, and I was wondering if there
> is an easy way to find out how long a given process has been running for.
> For example, if I do
>
> import multiprocessing as mp
> import time
>
> def time_waster():
>     time.sleep(1000)
>
> p = mp.Process(target=time_waster)
>
> p.start()
>
> Is there a way that I can then find how long p has been running for? I
> figured I can use p.pid to get the PID of the process, but I'm not sure
> where to go from there. Is there an easy way to do this?

If you use unix-like platform (e.g. linux) you can just use 'ps -e -o
pid,start_time | grep <pid>'.
I'd used procpy to do ps-like stuff in python since it's a wrapper
around the same procps library, prehaps it can get the same results as
well, w/o having to invoke shell commands:

  http://code.google.com/p/procpy/

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net