Status of Python threading support (GIL removal)?

Jure Erznožnik jure.erznoznik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:13:50 EDT 2009

Thanks guys, for all the replies.
They were some very interesting reading / watching.

Seems to me, the Unladen-Swallow might in time produce code which will
have this problem lessened a bit. Their roadmap suggests at least
modifying the GIL principles if not fully removing it. On top of this,
they seem to have a pretty aggressive schedule with good results
expected by Q3 this year. I'm hoping that their patches will be
accepted to cPython codebase in a timely manner. I definitely liket
the speed improvements they showed for Q1 modifications. Though those
improvements don't help my case yet...

The presentation from mr. Beasley was hilarious :D
I find it curious to learn that just simple replacement from events to
actual mutexes already lessens the problem a lot. This should already
be implemented in the cPython codebase IMHO.

As for multiprocessing alternatives, I'll have to look into them. I
haven't yet done multiprocessing code and don't really know what will
happen when I try. I believe that threads would be much more
appropriate for my project, but it's definitely worth a shot. Since my
project is supposed to be cross platform, I'm not really looking
forward to learning cross platform for C++. All my C++ experience is
DOS + Windows derivatives till now :(