fastest native python database?

Aaron Brady castironpi at
Fri Jun 19 21:50:53 CEST 2009

On Jun 17, 8:28 pm, per <perfr... at> wrote:
> hi all,
> i'm looking for a native python package to run a very simple data
> base. i was originally using cpickle with dictionaries for my problem,
> but i was making dictionaries out of very large text files (around
> 1000MB in size) and pickling was simply too slow.
> i am not looking for fancy SQL operations, just very simple data base
> operations (doesn't have to be SQL style) and my preference is for a
> module that just needs python and doesn't require me to run a separate
> data base like Sybase or MySQL.
> does anyone have any recommendations? the only candidates i've seen
> are snaklesql and buzhug... any thoughts/benchmarks on these?
> any info on this would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I have one or two.  If the objects you're pickling are all
dictionaries, you could store file names in a master 'shelve' object,
and nested data in the corresponding files.

Otherwise, it may be pretty cheap to write the operations by hand
using ctypes if you only need a few, though that can get precarious
quickly.  Just like life, huh?

Lastly, the 'sqlite3' module's bark is worse than its byte.