Status of Python threading support (GIL removal)?

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at
Sat Jun 20 19:52:55 CEST 2009

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:07:27 GMT, Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Perhaps we should have more built-in/stdlib operations that can release
>> GIL safely to release GIL by default? And perhaps some builtin/stdlib
>> should receive an optional argument that instruct them to release GIL
>> and by passing this argument, you're making a contract that you wouldn't
>> do certain things that would disturb the builtin/stdlib's operations;
>> the specifics of what operations are prohibited would be noted on their
>> docs.
> There would be a lot less useless discussion if people would do a minimal
> amount of checking to see if the ideas they're suggesting are at all
> feasible.
> Why don't you take a look at the CPython source and see if this is actually
> possible?  If you're not comfortable diving into a C program, then maybe
> you
> could try to become so first, or refrain from making suggestions that rely
> on technical details you know nothing about?
> Jean-Paul

There are 4 types of people's attitude towards discussion on GIL:

Two useless ones:
1. seasoned developers who have run out of ideas and moved to other more
important issues, leaving GIL problems to be solved by the future
2. newbies who spurts out random ideas, often half-baked, impossible,
unfeasible, or just plain stupid;

and two helpful ones:
3. people who are too tired discussing GIL and just shut their mouth up;
4. people who preached resistance against GIL is futile and converted
people of type 2 into type 3.
Version: GnuPG v2.0.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -