Meta question: disappearing posts (was Re: calculating a self.value, self.randomnum = normalvariate(x, y))

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 21 16:16:10 EDT 2009

Piet van Oostrum wrote:
> I notice that I see several postings on news:comp.lang.python that are
> replies to other postings that I don't see. Examples are the postings by
> Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> that I am replying to (but I
> break the thread on purpose). For example the posting with Message-ID:
> <mailman.1883.1245538633.8015.python-list at python.org> references:
> <77e831100906192220y5536d9d2oe5ca2dcc59084c0c at mail.gmail.com> which is
> not present on my news server. I have been wondering why these
> disappear, and I noticed the following in the Dennis Lee Bieber posting:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:48:21 -0600, Vincent Davis
> <vincent at vincentdavis.net> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>
> So apparently some of these come through gmane.comp.python.general.

I am posting and reading thru gmane and generally see no problem.
Sometimes I do see replies before the posting being replied.

Sometimes certain posts get 'echoed' about week after the original
posting date.  If a reply gets echoed, but not the original, and one
missed both originally, that can look weird.

tjr